Friday, April 8, 2011

Ten Percent

When my husband became a paraplegic in 2005 he was employed by a large company with great benefits.  One of those benefits was a hefty life insurance policy.  We were grateful he had that policy because he suddenly became ineligible for all others - a health risk, you see.  The policy was enough to pay off the mortgage, do some upgrades to the house, pay for a new car, and allow me the comfort of some savings for the future.
In 2007 that job ended and so did the policy.  All that they would allow him to "port" was 25% of the original policy.  Ouch.  We refinanced our mortgage so that we had a fixed low interest rate - although I really liked the original 2.26% MTA loan because we were paying down the principal so fast.  But the new loan amount was reasonable and I knew I could make it on my own if it came to that. The smaller insurance policy meant I couldn't pay off the house but if I were very careful I could buy a car and make a few improvements to the property.  Before Neal died we talked a lot about what to do and how to handle the money and I assumed everything was all right.
I was wrong.
I notified the insurance company of Neal's death and sent them the required forms.  I heard nothing for several weeks, so I called them to find out the status of my claim.  They told me they were investigating because there was an age adjustment clause.  A what?  Why didn't we know that?  According to the very polite person on the phone, paperwork had been sent to Neal on his 65th birthday informing him of the adjustment.  I couldn't believe it - the benefit was reduced at the same time the premiums took a mighty leap?  Yep.  It was all in the paperwork they sent, and which I'm sure neither of us ever read.  Who reads insurance mailings anyway? 
Apparently we all should.
Last Friday I received a call from the head office telling me of their final decision - an additional 35% reduction in the face amount of the policy.  I was sick.  This came the same week as an extremely unfair buy-back transaction of the conversion van.  (I received less than 30% of what I had anticipated on the van but that's another story.)
So now what?  I talked to our financial advisor and he made a few suggestions which I have thoughtfully considered, but he omitted the most important item. 
The Lord's portion.
Ten percent of my increase as tithing means just that.  Only 90% of the check that came in the mail this week is mine to spend.  I know some would argue that the amount was already reduced and I should be entitled to the whole thing.
But I don't see it that way.
Heavenly Father has been so kind and allowed us to have five and a half additional years together.  How could I not give Him one tenth of this money?  I still have the rest to use any way I choose.
This afternoon I took the check to the bank and deposited 90% in savings and 10% in checking.  Then I came home and wrote the biggest tithing check I've seen in a long time.
The way I see it I need the blessings.

2 comments:

Dana Day said...

Joan, thanks for your post. You are such an amazing example. I hurt for you reading this post. This just feels so awful that this has all happened to you. I will pray for you to get some good news SOON and that those windows of heaven will open and shower you with the blessings you need. Love You.

Jennifer said...

What great faith you have. I know the lord will take care of you one way or another. My dad died without life insurance as far as I know. We've had to pay alot ourselves, but I definitely have felt the blessings in my life. The lord blesses those who are faithful.