Monday, June 20, 2011

Laurels

In our church the girls ages 16 to 18 are called Laurels.  They have Sunday lessons, midweek activities, monthly dances and various other fun events as well as projects to complete and achieve an award.  In my ward (congregation) there are not quite a dozen girls in that age group, and they are wonderful.  Their smiles are magic, their attitude is better than normal and any parent would be pleased to call them daughters.  An older friend of mine has been their adviser - she has a lifetime of experience and loves those girls like the daughters she never had.  (She had sons)  Recently my friend had a stroke and is still recovering so she has been unable to teach these girls.  On the 5th of June I was asked if I would accept the assignment as Laurel adviser.  (Adviser or advisor?  SLC shows -er and locally it is -or.  Hmm)
Where was I?  I said yes, but then my name had to be submitted to the stake for clearance because I am still the stake website administrator.  Approval came back last weekend so yesterday (June 19) I was officially sustained and attended my first class with these young women.  They are delightful and I look forward to getting to know and work with them.
There will be a slight delay in my teaching a class though since I'm leaving soon for Hawaii and the first Sunday in July is scheduled already so July 10th will be my first lesson.
It has been years since I worked with the Laurels, and I'm thrilled to have this opportunity.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Jealous. I've always wanted to work with the Laurels or Young Women's in general. I always said that is where I wanted to serve, but never have. Maybe one day. You'll make a great adviser. They are so lucky to have you. I hope whoever had the stroke recovers soon.

Liz Wilcken said...

Can I be a laurel again, so I can have you for a teacher? You'll be sooo awesome!

Bonnie Bell Anderson said...

Just checked the handbook - it is Adviser.