On March 27th I thought there was a fly in the house because I glimpsed something flit past my eyes. The next evening when I shut off the kitchen lights I suddenly had complete circles of strobe lights that seemed to be around the frames of my glasses. I couldn't figure out what they were reflecting so I went into the bedroom and took off my glasses. And the strobe lights continued without the frames. That was a little upsetting.
I assumed the problem was a pinched nerve in my neck so I called the office of my favorite chiropractor. One adjustment later - neck felt better but the lights continued.
Family at Easter dinner made jokes about it, warning "Don't go toward the light!"
After the chiropractic adjustment didn't help I made an appointment with my MD who scared me with some possibilities and referred me to a specialist. I had a blessing on Tuesday evening and expected to be told that all would be well. Instead I was told that I had a great support system with family and friends and ward members - which made me wonder if I would need to depend on them after losing my vision.
Nothing like finding the worst case scenario and dwelling on it, right?
My appointment with the specialist was this morning and lasted 90 minutes. The flashing lights apparently are a neurological problem and I'm supposed to see a neurologist (or my family doctor for a referral) if they get worse again. Fortunately they have settled down quite a bit and I only have a few glimpses of the strobe lights each day. As long as they don't get worse the doctor didn't think I needed to do anything more about it at this time.
Meanwhile my eyes are "normal for someone my age." Sigh. I have a slightly detached retina, a small tear by the right optic nerve, a second cataract- this one in my left eye, plus the newly-arrived little floater that I thought was a fly. He said there was no evidence of macular degeneration which is a relief. However, I have rosacea in both eyes. I didn't even know it was possible but Dr J said he sees about 10 people a day with that problem. The eye drops I'm using and the Omega 3's I take each day are exactly what he recommends to help, so that's good.
Summary of what I learned - the flitting across my eye aka the floater happened on March 27th. Apparently it was just a coincidence that I got the flashing strobe lights the following day. The two are not related.
One other thing I learned - they recommend Walmart, Sam's and Costco as good places to get eyeglasses and frames. I love my glasses from Walmart so I was pleased to hear that. And my current glasses are still the correct prescription so that's a blessing.
I'm very grateful.




No comments:
Post a Comment