Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Summer Projects

Now that Seminary has ended I've had time to work on a few projects.  I wanted to make a farewell gift for a friend, so I took advantage of a giant quilt fabric sale to look for ideas. 
Note to self:  Never hit a quilt shop for the first time during a 25% off anniversary sale. 
I didn't think I was subject to panic attacks but all those people talking and talking, so many patterns and colors and displays - and an unfamiliar store layout was overwhelming.  I'm used to being rather anonymous, walk into a fabric store, look for what I want, get help at the counter and only interact with others when I ask for help.  At this store, women I didn't know would approach me and begin talking:  "Ooh, I like that! I didn't see it. Where was it?  What will you make out of it?  Is it for a quilt?"  And on and on.   My sister tells me that is normal quilt shop behavior but it was startling for this novice quilter on a first venture into that store.  I wasn't sure what I was going to make and just knew that I liked the fabric for a farewell gift.
Update - my friend liked the gift and I saw her using the large bag several times before she moved.

Seattle fabric - tote, cosmetic bag and wallet - lined in Pike Market reminiscent floral
The next project is for an upcoming event and I wanted each one to be unique.  The fabrics on two of them were chosen because the color and design are significant for the recipient.  The humbug bag I hope will appeal to the third person because of its shape. I suspect she might want to make a few herself.
Gift bags
This little apron is a replacement for the one my granddaughter has outgrown.  I had something else in mind completely but this just sort of happened.  I was going to make it out of the floral with bandana ruffles and straps only her mom thought the floral looked really dated.  It's not, I bought it at the same crowded fabric store.  However once I began thinking about using the bandana print for the body of the apron, it just sort of evolved.  I hope she likes it.
Apron for granddaughter
 
 Next projects are a few things for me, including finish another muu-muu because they are perfect in hot weather, organize the kitchen, clean the garage, harvest the rhubarb, and reshape the azalea that my neighbor keeps treating like his own driveway hedge. (It's supposed to be a round bush, but he uses electric hedge trimmers on his side to make vertical cuts - it's hideous!)  I have more projects that are never-ending, but those are top of the list this week.
Yesterday and today our ward is responsible for meals for ARISE, a local program for homeless males.  I signed up to take vegetables for 25 both nights plus a main dish for tonight.  I decided to make enchiladas, assembling them early this morning so they can go in the oven late this afternoon.  I'm thinking "the oven" might be the oval roaster sitting out on the patio and keep the heat outdoors. And speaking of heat - the venue was moved to King of Kings Lutheran church which isn't air-conditioned.  I feel so sorry for those poor men trying to eat and sleep there this week!
Yesterday had good and bad news.  My daughter's father-in-law went Home yesterday morning - cancer was stage 4 when they found it so he didn't have a lot of time.  A good friend had a valve replacement and triple bypass yesterday and it went fine - her son says she is expected to make a full recovery.  I am grateful.  The two of us lost our husbands just a few months apart so we joke that even though dying isn't scary (we'd be reunited with our wonderful husbands), we don't want to go until we get our houses cleaned!
Happy Tuesday!  Life is good!



No comments: