Saturday, July 5, 2008

Painful week

I thought I had my feelings under control, but this week has been filled with unexpected challenges. There were some good times - like the BBQ on Sunday evening with our friends Willie & Elizabeth - we had a nice evening with them.
Monday was Neal's last day at Boeing. The contract was scheduled to end on June 30, but we had hoped it might continue. No such luck, so we are in the belt-tightening phase once again. Then a friend decided that someone else must be the cause of her problems and has filed a lawsuit against Countrywide that will directly impact Neal. So much for loyalty to friends, right?
What else? Two trips to the University of Washington DECOD clinic for Neal - both appointments taking longer to drive there than the time spent in the office, not to mention the difficulty Neal had trying to convince others that he knew where he was going - something about the assumption that if you are in a wheelchair then there must be something wrong with your mind. We went to see the movie Emma Smith, and it was good, even though the handicap seating forced us to be too close to the screen. Wednesday we attended the graveside services for Cooper Ryan Johnson, the infant son of a couple in the ward - it was so sad, and such a reminder of how much we need the Plan of Salvation. But that was a beautiful cemetery - I'd like us to be buried there. Later we drove to the wound clinic in Seattle, where we learned that Neal has developed a huge blister and we don't know what caused it. One more spot to monitor...
During the week I had a call from Brent about his future plans, but learned that any "treasures" I had hoped to get as reminders of Julia had been boxed up and taken to Salvation Army right after everyone left. That was Brent's right - and in his defense he thought everyone had taken what they wanted. However, that was not the case, and I am so sorry that he didn't verify with us before he got rid of things. All I wanted was some small thing that Julia had used - that would remind me of her each time I used it. I had thought of asking for her little craft scissors, but they were in the guest room and at the time of the funeral, Brent's dad and stepmother were staying in that room, and I didn't feel comfortable just going in there and taking something. So I waited. He who hesitates and all that I guess.
Today I went to a couple of fabric stores looking for an iron-on transfer pencil, and even walking past the quilt suppies was painful. I miss Julia so much.
Day before yesterday I confided in Neal that I was just lonely - I missed Julia and our frequent talks and emails, I felt badly about the loss of a person I had thought was a friend, and I just missed my friends in Montana. Yesterday - one of the Lord's tender mercies: my friend in Billings (who doesn't communicate well because of several strokes which affect her speaking ability) called and chatted for over an hour. She was hilarious - told me her children don't want their parents to take road trips anymore, so she and her husband had figured out how to hop a freight train and will go to Illinois on the same train that hauls the coal to the town they plan to visit. It was great to have a silly conversation with her. Then last evening we went to a potluck at our neighbor's house - first time we have been invited and the husband built a ramp for Neal to enter the house. We were the only non-relatives there and it was a very pleasant evening.
Later other neighbors had just begun their traditional fireworks display in the middle of the street when firemen arrived to remind them that we are no longer in the county and it wasn't legal. I hope they don't think we called to report them because we did not.
Tomorrow is Sunday - one more day of being attacked by people who think hugs are the solution to all problems. I love hugs from friends, but from people who have repeatedly upset me, not so much. Notice: If you are not my friend, do not assume I want you to hug me. In fact - don't touch me except to shake hands.

No comments: