Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Christmas in July


Yesterday our favorite postman Cary brought me three big boxes. They came postage due because the post office upgraded the rate after inspecting the contents. I was so delighted to receive them that paying the difference was not a big deal. These were boxes of memorabilia from my daughter that Brent had packed and shipped. And what was inside? In terms of bulk, the biggest item was LETTERS. I believe my daughter must have saved every letter she ever received. I enjoyed cards and letters my parents had sent to Julia, and then I read through some I wrote to her. Of particular interest were the ones I wrote during the period when Neal first called me and we had started writing to each other. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the letters, so for the time being I'll just put them aside.
The background in the photo is the baby quilt I made for Julia when I was first pregnant. In 1972 in Montana, teachers were fired when they became pregnant, so I made the quilt in my mom's bedroom in case someone should drop in while I worked on it. When I notified the district I was pregnant, their reply began, "We have received your letter of resignation..." Nice that they hired me back the next school year.
The other items in the photo are a wooden name puzzle that Julia's dad made for her, and beside it is the first cross stitch Julia ever made...she was 8 years old.
I just remembered something - the yarn ties on the quilt are the second round. The first batch were very soft and Julia figured out how to untie them - and removed about half, so I had to redo the quilt with a different type of yarn.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

What sweet memories!

Janet Fawcett said...

What a wonderful surprise! I'm so happy Brent saved these and sent them to you.