Tuesday, May 25, 2010

And on and on

The stove was repaired after several days and several service calls.  Wrong parts were a factor, but it's all better now.  I considered buying a new stove but $1350 plus tax just didn't seem like a wise choice at the moment, even though I'd love to see the last of the white ceramic top.  But I can clean a lot of stovetops for that much money.
We've met with an assortment of specialists recently including a nutritionist who told me I was doing a good job adding nutrients to Neal's diet.  Then we visited two wound clinics in 24 hours, as well as a consultation with a wound surgeon who told us that repair surgery should happen but there is NO WAY he would touch Neal until after the heart surgery.  So, back to waiting for the blood clots to go away.  (Taking a moment here to be frustrated with medical offices that don't return phone calls to answer questions...)
We planned a meal with Neal's three grandkids but it grew into a dinner with the whole gang: the grandkids, their mom, their dad, their stepdad and the dog.  We had a nice time.  This photo shows grandkids, their parents and us. And the dog.
I returned to my doctor for a followup appointment and mentioned that my foot hurt.  Turns out that was a bigger deal than my first problem, and the Rx? - instructions to buy different shoes.  So I did.  I bought a pair of anti-gravity sandals and a pair of casual shoes, both on sale.  They are okay, but after an hour or so I can tell that they still haven't resolved the problem.  A friend told me about a great shoe store which I'll check out soon - not excited about the prices, but I have to do something.
Last Saturday Neal and I went to the temple together for the first time since last November.  It was a great experience even though I watched him turn gray twice during the session, enough so that the session leader  asked him twice if he needed help.   Neal was exhausted afterwards, even though his chair was tilted back most of the time.
Sunday was my turn.  I woke up with terrible chest pain and was very sure that it was a return of pericarditis.  I first had it when I was in college but haven't had an episode for over 25 years.  However it is a distinct pain one doesn't forget.  I took pain meds, did the minimum to help Neal, and spent the day sitting in a chair, trying not to breathe any more than necessary.  After Neal gave me a blessing the pain gradually diminished.  Yes I should go to the doctor, but I can't see a vacant time slot on the schedule until Friday afternoon and my doctor doesn't work then.  Ridiculous, isn't it?  My neighbor brought dinner for us and told us what they had prescribed for her husband when he was hospitalized with the same problem last year.  Turns out I was taking the right thing.  Another friend brought fruit and blueberry muffins so I didn't have to worry about food.  But it made us very aware that we have no Plan B in place.  Neal's children are close by but they don't answer their phones.  One doesn't return phone calls at all, one shuts off his phone, and in the past 4 1/2 years they have not been a resource for help or even for respite.  Neal's sisters are willing to help but they live several hours away and are working, so that leaves my daughter in Montana.  She said she could be on the next plane if we need her, but isn't it strange that the relative who is furthest away is the first to offer assistance?
Yesterday I mentioned my pain to the RN who came to take care of Neal.  She was indifferent; I'm not on her list of people for whom she checks vitals.  I felt insignificant - the invisible person pushing the wheelchair so to speak.  It was the first time I've missed church in over a year and it was interesting that people who should have noticed - didn't.  I am very grateful for the three friends who did call to see if I was all right.
And so it goes with household repairs, medical appointments, assorted concerns and hoping we are doing the right thing.  Just the usual enduring to the end.

No comments: