Friday, May 7, 2010

If You Can't Stand the Heat...

I wanted something sweet for breakfast tomorrow so I mixed up a batch of double chocolate muffins and decided to use mini muffin tins.  The recipe made four dozen with just enough batter left over for six regular muffins to give away.  The first pan went in the oven and since the recipe said 350 for 20 minutes, I figured about 15 minutes for mini muffins.  While I was working I could smell something burning and told myself, "Tomorrow you have to clean that oven!"  When I checked the muffins they were smoking.  What?  How did that happen?  I took them out, put in the next batch and set the timer for ten minutes, figuring that was the problem but within 4 or 5 minutes they smelled like they were done as well.  I opened the oven door and they were baked but had risen too fast and looked like little huts with a peaked roof.  Cute.
The first batch was beyond saving, but the second batch seemed okay.  I decided to shut off the oven and let it cool down a little before I baked the larger ones, but the oven would not shut off.  According to the controls the oven was off, but the oven elements were bright red and showing no sign of cooling down.  When all else fails, hit the breaker switch, right?
I hunted for the instruction manual, called the 800 number, and a recorded voice said they are open Monday through Friday.  Swell.  But a second call resulted in an option to find a local repair person.  By this time it was almost 7pm and someone answered their phone!  Not only that but they will send out a serviceman tomorrow morning at 9am.  Now that's my idea of customer service.   I'm glad they are able to look at it right away, but I suspect my "splurge" for Mother's Day this year will be parts and service for my stove.  Sigh.
I had planned to prepare a cute little basket with muffins as a treat for a friend tomorrow morning.  Instead I took her the pan of unbaked muffins as sort of a bake-it-yourself get well treat. 
This morning I had Mother's Day flowers delivered - hope they don't smell like burned muffins!

No comments: