The stake 2012 online layered calendar is finally posted. This was so much harder than it needed to be. The concept is great - subscribers can select which layers of the calendar they wish to see and the other parts are only visible if they are added. However simultaneously posting on multiple layers is challenging. For example, should youth temple trips be posted on the temple layer or on the youth layer? (Can't post both places - it's a PICK ONE situation) Is a YSA committee meeting a stake meeting or a YSA event? Is dry pack canning a general announcement or a welfare assignment?
The programming is still being adjusted so many things that should be stable are not. For example the default start time would be a surprise - it changed constantly, appearing as midnight or 10am or 9pm or even better, as military time. I'd select the calendar layer, enter the event, click on add details and the next screen would be - blank. Sometimes the event I just entered would have disappeared or the date would be blank or would have defaulted back to today's date, and the start time would vary. Nothing was consistent.
In the past the default had always been 6pm and I knew what to expect when I clicked on "add details" but scrolling down in 15 minute increments from midnight to a 7pm start time with every event is annoying. I noticed a tiny voice in my head making snarky observations about how of course it should appear as midnight because so many events begin at that time. I realize that is a programming feature and it is a worldwide church website, but since initially I had to select our time zone it seems to me that the start time programming should have been linked to the specific stake.
Other challenges were more of a local problem and I'm left wondering if it is an indication that after posting six years of calendars I should hang it up and move on. I miss the support I had in the past. I miss being able to discuss it with my husband, and I am sure that by mentioning it to anyone else it comes across as "she's whining about her calling." I don't mean to. If anything I feel a need to explain why it has taken so long to complete this calendar but I even hear myself sounding petty.
I'm glad it is finished. I slept soundly after logging off and went to the temple the next morning to celebrate. It feels like a burden has been lifted from my shoulders.
What comes next? The series of emails from unhappy subscribers with critical comments directed at me personally or at the format. At this point I don't care. Everything I was given including unresolved conflicts are posted and I can do something else.
No wonder I haven't had the energy to decorate or address Christmas cards. Being consumed with this annual project filled me with dread before I began and annoyed me as I waited for answers from others.
Today I plan to direct my frustration towards the moles in the back yard, catch up on laundry, try some new cookie recipes and address Christmas cards. I might even clear off my desk.
Thursday, December 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Moles? How fun. My kids saw one at a playground once, and want one as a pet. Hahaha. My Mother in law has these things she puts in her yard, that puts out a sound, and it keeps the moles away and out of her garden. It works pretty well. :)
Hooray for it being done!!! I definitely think it's time to retire from this particular calling. My head hurts just thinking about all the issues you've had with it this year.
Post a Comment