Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Confused? Bewildered? Bemused? Pick one

Someone told me tonight that a mutual acquaintance had announced that I am the default Spanish instructor for a class I no longer teach.  I do not have any of the materials, I have never taught the class in Spanish, and I'm baffled by the whole idea. 
Why would the person who is the teacher tell others that if there are Spanish-speakers who need the class they should come to me?  Has he not opened the materials he was given?  He has them all.  He has not discussed this with me, nor has anyone else broached the subject.  Why me? Why now, when I have two church assignments and one is huge at this season of the year? 
I am often unable to respond appropriately when I'm caught off guard, and tonight was no exception.  We were in the middle of a dinner for 60 teenagers (ages 16-18), hosting a meal and an activity, and my purpose in greeting the man was just that - say hello and be polite. I should have said that it was news to me and I would look into it, but that isn't what came out of my mouth.  Instead of telling him he had been misinformed I stuttered about how busy I was and wouldn't have time for several months - leaving him with the impression that I would teach the class later. 

Years ago I read a clever poem that I should post on my mirror:
Backward, turn backward
Oh time in its flight.
I just thought of the comeback
I needed last night.

I need to think this over then go to the person in charge and clarify that the responsibility is no longer on my shoulders and that I won't be teaching that class.
In any language.

No comments: