Friday, January 3, 2014

Manners Matter

This morning I went back to my favorite nail place - it was the least I could do after they called to check on me.  Plus I had been trying to find an open Friday morning in order to schedule with my favorite nail tech anyway so it worked out for this morning.  Jessica was just getting started with me when a woman came in and needed her eyelash extensions removed - because of the chemicals they aren't really safe during pregnancy.  I told Jessica to take care of her and I'd wait.  It's that kind of place - people accommodate others when they can. All the women who work there are friendly and kind so the least I could do was soak my feet a little longer while they helped someone else.  Jessica was still in the other room when a very large angry woman burst through the door and began yelling at one of the owners.  Ms Loud & Angry was on her cell phone so it wasn't easy to determine if she was yelling at the owner or yelling into the phone.  It might have been both.  Apparently she had been in recently for a fill of her extra long nails and then managed to break one of them.  Rather than asking nicely to have it repaired, she was aggressive and abusive and demanding.  There was so much drama and anger but the little owner didn't say a word.  She walked over to the first station and sat down while Ms L&A continued to yell into the phone.  All during the time she repaired the broken nail and Jessica helped me, the woman talked loudly into her cell phone - gossiping about someone from her church and making statements about how she was smarter and more qualified or something - I tried not to listen because it was so unpleasant but she was SO loud. The three women who were working in the salon kept silent but expressed themselves by rolling their eyes.  When L&A was almost finished she decided she was in a hurry and so she demanded they spray her wet nails and she left.
Not a please or thank you came out of her mouth.
I was the only client in the salon by that time and as the door closed behind the departing woman, we all looked at each other and I said, "Her mama needs to teach her some manners."   The owner told me that she sees her work as a service, that she always wants to help when there is a problem, and she will happily repair a break if someone asks.  Then she went on, "But I know her and I know how she has been before and I don't think we can make her happy."
It was an interesting morning.

No comments: