The end of 2013 was filled with concerns about health and finances - mine as well as family members. I'm still dealing with high blood pressure challenges and look forward to taking my completed chart to my next doctor appointment. Originally I was to have seen her just before Christmas but she had to cancel and the next available appointment with her is in 10 days.
My son-in-law had surgery, or rather, he had multiple surgeries. After an unsuccessful first attempt earlier in November to remove a polyp in his stomach, he had major surgery and a huge incision to remove it the traditional way. The incision had mostly healed when the staples were removed (except for a troublesome section that was reminiscent of Neal's incisions that wouldn't heal). However, coughing caused the incision to rupture, he was rushed by ambulance back to the hospital and a third surgery was performed. I hope they used baling wire to secure the incision this time. While he was recovering from that one someone shot their beloved dog Asia. Asia was my grandson's playmate and it was heartbreaking. How could someone do that? Shoot a dog and leave it for dead. Asia crawled a long distance back to the house using only her front legs. My daughter took her to the vet about 60 miles away where they discovered a bullet had apparently severed her spinal cord. It was hard thing for them to say goodbye to her. A police report has been filed but I suspect they will never know who did such a hateful thing.
All of that stress in North Dakota filled the time from before Thanksgiving until just before Christmas. so my little family has been on my mind all the time.
I went to the farm the Saturday after Thanksgiving to have dinner with Neal's sisters, his niece and his nephew. There were a few others at the table as well and we enjoyed a nice meal together. Usually we schedule our Christmas get-together while we are all in one place but that didn't happen this year.
Christmas Eve I went to the home of some dear friends where we had a late dinner and opened gifts together. It had been a tradition since Neal and I became friends with this couple and I appreciate that I am still included in their family gathering. I baked Neal's favorite coconut cake as my contribution.
Christmas Day I was able to skype with my family in North Dakota. The reception wasn't the best but at least we could see fuzzy images of each other and we could talk. That was wonderful - I miss them more than I can express.
I walked one morning and also went to the temple with a friend, and another day I took a handgun safety & marksmanship class. I haven't trained in many years so it was good to correct some bad habits I had developed. The main thing I learned from that experience was that my torn rotator cuff and the arthritis in my right arm impact how effectively I can grab and shoot my Glock. I think I'll begin looking for a small revolver as an alternative, something like a S&W 38.
New Year's Eve I went to an open house at the home of some friends in another ward. It was nice to see all the upgrades they have done to their kitchen and I was grateful to have been included in their circle of friends.
Unlike the fireworks and gunshots at midnight, New Year's Day was very quiet. Why do people do that? I had been asleep for awhile but after the noise died down I fell asleep again. All I did to observe the start of another year was to go to the cemetery to visit Neal's grave. I was surprised at how many others individuals were standing alone by grave sites, and their grief was evident. Missing a loved one is not unique to me - and grieving for my husband and my daughter doesn't get easier as the years pass. I am so very thankful for the Plan of Salvation and eternal families.
When this vacation began I had a giant checklist of things I planned to accomplish but I really haven't done much at all. My blood pressure has been a factor as well as continuing headaches but I think the big reason I've not done much is that this season was just difficult. Usually I don't notice any feelings of depression but they've certainly been evident this past month. There have been some other painful issues related to family members that I don't feel like sharing but I know that has also contributed to my discouragement and lack of motivation.
However there is one bad habit that I've been trying to break for a long long time and finally I have done it. During October conference I decided it was time to quit drinking caffeinated beverages. Rather than stopping that day my plan was to use up what had been purchased and not buy any more. Interestingly from that point until this past week, pop has been on sale nearly all the time, usually for $3.00 a 12-pack, but sometimes lower. It was interesting to me that it was so consistent at a time when I had decided not to buy it anymore. I had a lot in my storage, all purchased on previous sales. I also had caffeine-free Coke so my plan was to drink the traditional kind, then switch to the caffeine-free type and just gradually quit. The caffeine-free didn't taste quite the same and I didn't drink it as often, so the last few cans have been around for awhile. I had saved back one can of the traditional coke in case I had a severe migraine. I didn't get one so I decided I'd drink that can at New Year's. You know what? It didn't taste all that great and I was glad when it was done. There are no more cans of coke in my house and I don't plan to buy any more. And it feels great.
In the summer / sandal season I have regular pedicures and have gone to the same place for years. Because I haven't been there for months it was touching to me that the manager called this week to check on me - NOT to schedule an appointment, but just because I am a regular client and she hadn't seen me for awhile. She wanted to know if I was all right. Living alone means that I can literally go for days without speaking to anyone and I was impressed with her concern. I will go back.
So that's the windup of 2013. I have high hopes that 2014 will be better.
Thursday, January 2, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment