Several months ago I received a call from a woman I didn't know. She spoke rapidly and told me that President Somebody-or-other had asked that I fill in for a month as a missionary because one of the senior sisters was ill and going home. When she paused to take a breath I asked who she said had asked her to call me. She said, "President Eaton."
I then asked, "Who is he?"
The caller was surprised that I didn't recognize the name. Apparently he was the mission president for the new Federal Way mission. I had forgotten that our stake had been cut from the Seattle mission and that we were in a new one, and I certainly didn't remember the name of the mission president, although I had read it in the Church News the previous June. But having never laid eyes on him I didn't remember his name or even that we were in a different mission.
I kindly explained that I am a Seminary teacher and not in a position to take a month to be a missionary companion. She wasn't happy but there wasn't anything she could do.
Today the "little sister missionaries" came to my house to teach a practice lesson. It was a very sweet spiritual experience and we talked about the Plan of Salvation and enduring to the end. In the course of our conversation before the practice lesson, one of them mentioned that she had heard that I was going to serve as a missionary this summer to replace one of the senior sisters who was going home. I asked who had told her that, and she said a name. I recognized the name as someone I met a few weeks ago at a farewell lunch for the senior sisters who had been in our ward. The sister in question works with less-active women in a town about 30 miles south of here. I had never discussed serving with the person I met, but somehow that same concept has resurfaced: "Sister Whiteford will be available as soon as Seminary is over for the school year and she can fill in for a month."
For the record, I enjoyed serving as a missionary in Mexico when I was young. It was a great experience. I also enjoyed serving with my husband a few years ago. Serving with him was very fulfilling. Not only that, I am happy to fill in for the senior sisters at LDS Employment when they need to be out of the office. I have done it several times and have told my bishop (who is the associate director) that I'll be happy to help whenever he calls me.
But I have never entertained the idea of going on a mission as a senior sister. I don't feel that's where I'm supposed to be at this stage of my life. I have a calling in my ward that requires me to be here, I have Seminary preparations for the 2014-2015 school year, and I have a house and yard that have been neglected while I've taught Seminary. I want to spend more time at the temple and working on family history. I also have a long long list of projects and plans to handle this summer. My sisters-in-law have a trip planned for all of us that has been postponed since last July, and I told them I would definitely go with them this year. So becoming a temporary senior missionary is not on my list.
I still haven't met President Eaton - he probably has an opinion about me based on my refusal to help. Twice.
Oh well. All I can do is my best each day. Bloom where you are planted and all that. I wasn't planted in the Federal Way mission, even on a temporary basis.
Friday, April 25, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Time and season and don't run faster and all that. It is very clear in my life at this time that I have specific roles and callings to fulfill. Only I can fulfill them. There are a lot of other things that could fill my time. Some even are really good things. Some I even would like to do, but I am just not able to now.
It doesn't matter what ours think, you have to follow the promptings that are meant for you
Post a Comment