Saturday, May 23, 2015

Listening to promptings

I'm amazed that this month is nearly over.  After being gone so much during April, it felt like all I did the past few weeks was get caught up on errands and appointments.  There were community suppers to coordinate, the choir sang one Sunday, I substituted as organist one Sunday, and played for a funeral.  I also had a pedicure and a massage and a haircut.   I even went to the city's disaster training conference this week.  
My partner and I have been able to walk a few more weeks even though her condo has sold and she's almost completely moved.  I will miss her.  I'm grateful for a comment she made one morning while we were walking.  I had told her that the man at the recommend desk greets me by name every Tuesday morning at 5am.  She replied that it's a wonderful thing to have your name known in the temple.  It wasn't so much that one person remembered who I was.  It's more that there are spiritual implications about a person's name being known in the temple.  

But something happened today that was very sweet and I want to record it before I forget.  The house next door sold recently and I've been looking forward to meeting new neighbors. Yesterday while I was trimming the shrubs that block the view from my window a car pulled into the driveway next door and I met this sweet family.  They had just picked up the keys and planned to move Saturday.  After we chatted I went back inside my house but felt like I should offer to bring them dinner tonight.  They were delighted and we agreed upon a time of 5pm, which would work with my schedule tonight (community supper at 5 followed by a baptism at 6).  
I sent an email to my Lutheran partner about the community supper and asked if he could handle the details tonight.  He agreed and I planned to make the meal about 4 to have it hot and ready at 5 and then I could go play the music for the baptism.
This morning I felt I should move up the schedule so I went to the store about 7:30am to buy the needed ingredient as well as flowers for the cemetery.  When I came home I felt like there was no reason to postpone making the main dish.  Once it was prepared I went to the cemetery in the morning instead of this afternoon as I planned, but it was hard to relax and just be there.  I came home and set timers so I could put the main dish in the oven about 4, and be on time for the baptism.  
Right at the time I had planned to be at the cemetery I felt like I should get started on the salad and had just begun preparing it when there was a knock at the door.  My neighbor wanted to tell me that they were ahead of schedule but needed to make one more run to Issaquah so they wouldn't be back until much later tonight.  I suddenly realized that's why I had been prompted to adjust my schedule because I was able to tell her that it was all ready and she could just put it in her refrigerator for when they needed it.  I finished the salad and put it in a disposable container, added the paper plates, and set everything on top of the covered entree.  She was pleased and referred to the meal as a blessing.
I am so grateful that Heavenly Father was in charge today.  I'm also grateful that I listened to the promptings.  My schedule was completely different than what actually happened, and I know that today went well because Heavenly Father loves my new neighbors too.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

What a sweet blessing from the Spirit to your life. Thanks for sharing.