I've spent the past few months scheduling and experiencing multiple medical tests. I've seen the eye surgeon, the dentist, my primary care doctor, the folks that conduct MRI's, the kind women at the breast center as well as multiple lab technicians. I've also seen the chiropractor and my massage therapist. Most recently I was referred to a kidney specialist who referred me to diagnostic imaging for an ultrasound. I was amazed that today - a Saturday - he called me with the results of that ultrasound. A highly-qualified specialist who takes the time to call a new patient on the weekend just to reassure me that all is well? That was a surprise for me.
The conclusion after all these exams and tests has been that at age 72 I am in pretty good shape. My eye problem still doesn't require surgery and I don't even need new lenses. My teeth are fine, the concerns about possible breast cancer have been alleviated, and my heart seems to be doing well with the change in one medication and reduction in dosage of another medication. The call today was to let me know that whatever is going on with my kidneys is at the microscopic level and I don't need to be concerned.
I am so very grateful for all of these positive results. I know they will be watching my labs in June to see if the risk of type II diabetes has returned but hopefully that will be under control as well. I'm trying to stay away from orange juice because I know that has been a problem for me in the past.
What should I do with this body that is still healthy? I'm going to continue to do the things that bless the lives of others. In no particular order these are on my list:
1. Attend the temple once a week
2. Play the organ for church once a month
3. Lead the ward choir (select music, encourage them and continue to recruit new singers)
4. Coordinate volunteers for community suppers three nights a month
5. Serve on the stake Public Affairs committee
6. Be a diligent visiting teacher
7. Help my daughter and be an example to my grandchildren
8. Reach out to my family members and to those in Neal's family
9. Work on family history
10. Pursue some hobbies such as quilting and reading and music
11. Take care of my home and yard
I miss my husband. I miss Julia. I miss the family members I seldom see. But I can make my place on this earth be a happy, peaceful place. I can be a friend to others. I can seek to grow spiritually. Mostly I need to be more productive and not just mark the days off on the calendar.
Saturday, May 14, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Good reminder to keep REAL priorities in order. Glad you're in good health!
I didn't realize you had been going through all of this. Glad you're so healthy and that there is nothing significant to worry about. :)
Thanks, Kristen. I'm glad too.
Post a Comment