Friday, May 23, 2008

Escapism?

Hmm, well this has been interesting. I run errands - Sam's Club, AAA, etc, make phone calls (like making an appointment for Neal to renew his concealed weapon's permit), check on friends, and then feel absolutely exhausted. And cold. So - with the best intentions to read the RS lesson or work on scripture study or some other uplifting experience, I sit down on the couch, cover up with a blanket and - suddenly it is two hours later. If I go to bed and lie down to warm up, it is suddenly THREE hours later. I am not accomplishing very much this week, but I'm not sure if I'm fighting a bug or if all the napping is just a way to escape the current worry about my daughter.
Outside my window the neighbor is moving vehicles around - the white Camaro disappeared while I was asleep, but the trailer is still there. Now a little ATV is sitting on the trailer - oh wait - the white Camaro is now parked at the side of the yard beyond the driveway. I can hear the construction crew pounding and pounding and pounding as they replace the siding and trim on the townhouses behind us. They have been working on that project since last November. Seriously. The rhododendron blossoms continue to open - just wonderful this year.
Sunday I will play a solo in RS and have been practicing a little each day. It's basically ready, and I have gone over the music the pianist asked me to play since she'll be gone this weekend. Music has calmed me this week. Emails from friends have also helped.
I need to stop *nervous eating* but inside me there is a hunger for something, and I seem to be unable to satisfy it. Usually biscotti does the trick but the biscotti in the kitchen is so stale, and I haven't felt motivated to bake any more. Perhaps tomorrow...
Okay - enough negative stuff. I appreciate blogs that are entertaining, so I need to head that direction in my posts.
Interesting observation - whenever there is a major trauma in my life, I do something with my hair. After my divorce I had it cut very very short. When Neal came out of the hospital and I became a full-time caregiver, I gave serious thought to letting it go white, but a hair stylist talked me into gradually going from reddish brown dye to a soft champagne blond just to give it a little warmth. I misread the color numbers, had to re-do it one time, and decided to just "jump" to the lighter color all at once. Adjustment took a little time, but I like the color now - and I no longer have a *skunk line* where my hair is parted, like I did when it was darker. So - this week with the news about Julia, I went for a trim and came home with a very short cut. I like it - it is so easy to care for, but I recognize it is that trauma = hair change phenomenon once again. Neal says I have a "boy" cut.

No comments: