Yesterday Brent sent the proposed image of Julia's grave marker. I think the company refers to it as a monument, although I would more likely call it a headstone. Maybe that's a regional difference. At any rate, it has her full name, her birth and death dates, the image of a pair of shoes, and the phrase "I Am a Child of God." He wanted us (his dad, Anne and I) to approve it before he gives the okay. My only suggestion was that January be spelled out rather than being abbreviated. Must be a guy thing - when Neal saw it, he thought it was more symmetrical to have Jan and May, instead of January and May. But when I talked to Brent last night he agreed that it looked better with both months spelled out.
I was surprised at the emotion generated by the image of the headstone - such a statement that life is over. I didn't feel that way about my parents' headstone - it seemed rather sweet to see their names together, just as they had been in life. But when I looked at Julia's there was a raw sense of loss once more to realize that it will be placed on a lonely grave on a hillside next to the interstate.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment