I like this house. It is located on a quiet street, it's all one level, there is plenty of storage, there are large windows in the living room that overlook the shaded backyard, and the floor plan makes entertaining easy. However......since we moved in I have never been able to find "my spot." When I lived in Montana there was a place I could go that was ideal for reading and pondering. I could spread out my books and settle in for several hours - and each time I returned to that spot there was the same feeling of refuge. But there has been no place like that in this house. I have tried each room at various times, and nothing seems to fit. Rearranging furniture provided a more scenic view but I have continued to feel unsettled. What I wanted was a location with a comfortable chair, a side table, and a pleasant view. That seemed like a simple need, but the solution eluded me and I was beginning to wonder if the unsettled feeling was inside me, rather than because of my physical surroundings.
So six weeks ago Neal and I went shopping for a chair that would be comfortable for me - deep enough for my long legs but short enough for the rest of my body. We found one, didn't like the fabric, and ordered it in something else. It came yesterday and today I picked it up at the warehouse. I brought it into the living room, placed it across from the picture windows and sat down. Sigh. It is exactly what I was looking for - comfortable, nice view, and just calls to me to sit down and open a book. I feel like I've finally found my spot.



No comments:
Post a Comment