Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I'm Glad That's Over

I should blog about Neal's heart attack on the 7th, but that's too scary to talk about, so I'll just announce - (drumroll please) - the FREEZER has been DEFROSTED!!! Note to self - do not ever wait that long again. How long, you ask? Let's just say that I learned things about this freezer that I didn't know and we've had it since 2004. Ahem. Contents of freezer spent the morning and part of the afternoon in various coolers, the refrigerator and the washing machine. (What? It's insulated and kept things cool.) The worst part was the ice that built up above the top shelf and didn't want to break loose, even with dozens of teakettles full of boiling water sending steam upwards. Neal - love a logical man - suggested that I fill a squirt bottle with very hot water and spray the top until it broke loose. That actually worked quite well. He had an earlier suggestion that I roll the freezer out to the entry of the garage and spray the interior with a high pressure nozzle to knock off all the ice. I know that would work but I can't roll the freezer by myself. So ----- it had to be done the ugly, hard-work way. There were only a few scary things in the back of the freezer, so that's good. And the chocolate minibars were for Neal's lunches. Really. I don't even like Snickers, so you can trust me on that. I'm more interested in all those other choices, and pleased that we have a fairly decent amount of meat and veggies for food storage. I did read the other day that the sequence during an emergency is to eat the contents of the refrigerator first, then the freezer contents and then the canned storage. Makes sense.
Okay - now I really need some lunch. And a nap. I was going to reward myself with a pedicure but I'm too tired to drive anywhere.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Actually, playing around with the freezer and frozen things sounds pretty good today. It is SO HOT my glasses are steaming up...

Glad Neal is feeling better. Hugs to you both. :-)