Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My dad


I've been thinking about my dad lately. We were good friends and I miss him. When I bought my first handgun and went to Jackson Hole for a visit with my parents, I took him out to the car to show the gun to him. He looked it over and then said, "That's a nice gun - but don't tell your mother." Made me laugh because that's how he was - encouraged me in my interests but at the same time he knew that some things might bother my mom.

This picture of Dad is a copy of a charcoal made by a local artist at a gallery in Jackson. He was pleased to be asked to sit for the sketch, and I am pleased to have a copy.

After Mom died and Dad was alone in Jackson, I bought him a little blank book so that he could record his memories. But Dad preferred typing over writing so he decided to take the book apart and type each page. In preparation for that, he began putting little post-it notes on the pages he wanted to use, just as simple reminders of what he was intended to write. Dad passed away before he completed that project, but the book pages with their brief comments in his precise printing are something I enjoy reading - wondering what else he would have said.

4 comments:

Tabatha said...

That is something that you will always treasure. I need to do that to my parents while they are still young enough. Thanks for the idea

Bonnie Bell Anderson said...

that is such an awesome picture!

Kate said...

That is so sweet. I'm such a daddy's girl.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for letting me see your blog. I had a hard time reading the first entries, because I was so emotional, but I'm glad you wrote it. I'm so sorry still about your loss. I hope each day is a little easier.