Friday, April 10, 2009

This and That

I don't have a clever name for this post. In fact, I'm not even sure what will tumble onto the page because I suspect it will be about as organized as my thought process this morning.
First of all, we have a functioning pellet stove again, just in time for another rainy weekend. The stove has an auger that drops pellets as needed into the burn bowl (after "someone" - that's me - carries in the 40 pound bags and loads the feed chute). It had been sluggish so I had cleared the auger jam, almost. A service tech came, cleared it some more and told me we needed new batteries in the thermostat. For this we were charged $121. I bought the new batteries, but the stove continued to be temperamental, so I called the shop, and the manager told me it sounded like the thermostat had more problems. But he said it was still under warranty so I should call the manufacturer. I called them, explained the problems, and a nice lady walked me through the steps to disconnect and send it in for repairs. I mailed it to Indiana on April 3rd and we got it back yesterday. Quick service! The enclosed note said that the original was faulty so they replaced it with a new one. I rewired it and our stove is working once again. Considering the fact that the only other wiring I've ever done was a motion sensor light on my house in Montana, I am pleased that it works.
What else is new at our house? Well, we have made a couple of trips to Bremerton to see Neal's sister. First she was severely anemic and was hospitalized for several days while they filled up her system with new blood. (A hospital record low hematocrit of 9.7 instead of the standard 35 - yikes!) Tests to find the reason for the anemia turned up a "mass" so she had surgery to remove the tumor. We went back to see her the day after that surgery, but didn't hear results until last Friday - the cancer had spread to her lymph nodes, so now she is facing chemo. Lisa had thought she wanted to host the family Easter dinner this year, but since she's only been out of the hospital a short time, we have moved on to plan B and it will be here this year. Food preparation is underway - working backwards from dessert. Yesterday I made the toasted coconut ice cream, will make salads tomorrow, and then just have rolls, ham and scalloped potatoes on Sunday. Easy.
The other project looming over our heads is taxes. Back in the days when I was single, I had my taxes ready by the end of January each year. Since I married Neal we seem to put it off until later and later. Are we finished yet? No. We worked on Turbo Tax a week ago, but according to the running total at the top of the page, we had $46 too much income in 2008 so our Social Security was being taxed. Balance due - $5410. Say what? We are over 65, on Social Security, made $46 too much and we owe over five thousand dollars in additional taxes? I couldn't believe it. We saved the file and decided to finish on another day. Then Neal read the help file and learned that we could deduct the COBRA premiums, which had been $872 per month for eleven months last year - until I became eligible for Medicare. We hadn't itemized medical because neither of us thought that our out of pocket expenses had been 7% of our income. But after seeing that amount due, I created a spreadsheet of what we paid in doctors, hospitals and all the other categories as well as the COBRA premiums. Surprise - we paid $16981.03 for medical! I had no idea it was that much, but it will certainly improve the bottom line.
We don't have any debt except our mortgage, and we are more grateful than ever for the MTA loan. (MTA = Mortgage Treasury Average, an adjustable mortgage based on the rate the US treasury pays to borrow money from foreign countries) It has been as high as 6.5% but has dropped now to 3.57%. There isn't a 30-year fixed loan at that rate. Do I believe it will stay that low? Not with that crazy bunch in Washington DC busily spending money they (we) don't have.
We need to measure, cut and install about 5 more tiles in the front bathroom before we are ready to ask for help to do the last part which involves pulling the toilet and then resetting it after laying the last six tiles. Have we done it? No. Why? I'm not sure - the last time we worked on it, we were both too tired and began making mistakes, so we just quit and have put off getting back to it. I whine about being on the floor spreading adhesive and fitting the tiles in place, because my knees and ankles hurt so much when I try to get up. (Thanks to a bad fall on the garage floor last winter) But I know it will be lovely once it's finished, so I need to just change my attitude and make time to do it.
Life as service missionaries - we are really enjoying our days at LDS Employment Resources. We feel like we are making a contribution, and it has been fulfilling to see people move from scared to hopeful. The counselors Gary and Ryan are so good, but I've been able to translate for a few clients and help others with computer searches. Neal and I both think there is a need for a basic computer skills class - some don't know how to attach a resume to an online application, and some don't even have a resume! Neal has done amazing work in creating databases to streamline some processes. I used it on Tuesday when an email came in without a name on it. Neal searched by email address and within seconds I had the name I needed. Without that database I would have had to go through nearly 300 files to look for the same information.
It is interesting to me that the name has changed from LDS Employment Center to LDS Employment Resources, but it makes sense. The people in the office don't spend their days going through listed jobs and matching those jobs to applicants, although at times in showing someone available resources there are good matches. What we do is give clients the tools to be able to look for work, provide ways to help them interview effectively, and similar assistance. The client is responsible for making the effort to search, to put together an effective resume and to present himself in the best possible way. There are many people with active files who don't do one thing to find work, and blame the economy for their situation. The ones who are finding jobs are those who come to the office, use the computers and fax and phones, and work as hard at finding employment as they do once they are hired. Those who find work are the ones who assume responsibility for their own success.

1 comment:

Laura Jex said...

oh my you have been busy! It was good to sit with you and your hubby last night! We had a great visit!