Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Let Down

When you buy something on eBay or from Amazon, you are asked to rate the transaction.  I like that because I frequently check ratings of sellers before I commit to buying from them. 
Today I wish we had the opportunity to rate medical professionals.  We are dealing with a specialist who has a bad case of too much ego and reacted (no other word will do) like a two-year old needing a nap.  "No you can't!  I made the decision, I am in charge and you have to do what I say!" 
Or something like that.  We never actually spoke with him, but that's what the discharge nurse told us he said when she called him for his okay with some changes in Neal's treatment.  Since my previous interactions with him have resulted in that same level of reaction, I tend to believe it.  Everyone at the case conference today had been in agreement that the changes we requested were in Neal's best interest.  Not so with Dr Ego.
We were devastated.  We had hoped that the changes could be made because our lives would be much easier, and we were all surprised when the answer was no. Chris sat in on the conference and he stayed with Neal while Neal fumed and I walked around the outside of the building to cry in private.  By the time I returned they had moved on to "where do we go from here?"  and Chris offered to do some research for us to come up with a Plan B. 
We have other medical appointments soon and hope that somewhere in the muddle of professionals with differing opinions we will be able to find a solution that will be right for this situation.  At the present, it's just frustrating.
If you are one of the people who called my cell phone while I was on the land line, or my land line while I was on the cell phone today, I'm sorry I didn't return all the calls and answer the messages.   At some point I just couldn't do it anymore and deleted the rest of the messages.  I spent 30 minutes on hold with one office and then cut short calls from friends while I waited for another professional to return my call.  He never did but that's another issue for another day. 
This situation is so hard and I just can't cope with one more person telling me that I need to take some time for myself.  I know that, but I can't do it right now because other issues are more pressing. 

2 comments:

Reese said...

You are an amazing woman. THIS will work out. You are in our prayers. Thanks for your support today...I probably took too much of your time, but it meant a lot to me. We will pray for a little humility on the part of Mr. Ego. **hugs**

Laura Jex said...

keep your chin up, were all behind you 110%