Monday, March 8, 2010

Some respect would be nice

I was looking forward to today because as soon as the wound nurse took care of the wound vac, I would be able to run several quick errands, including taking my car BACK to the mechanic but this time with a specific problem identified.  (Thanks Scottie)
Early each Monday, Wednesday and Friday the home nurse has called to confirm her appointment and then arrived between 9 and 10am. Every time. In fact, some of them call the night before to set up their schedules.  Today - not even a phone call by 10am, so I called the service to see if we had been omitted from their schedule.  The first phone call went unanswered, so I called back.  No answer again, so I called the 800 number which rings in the same office in Kent.  She answered, I explain my question and my call was transferred to the cell phone of an ESL nurse who informed me that she plans to come here at 2pm, but she'll try and come here sooner. Um? What?  Maybe 2pm, but maybe sometime before that?  Don't leave the house because I might show up anytime.  Grr.  So much for my long list of errands I planned to do today. Yes, I have filed a complaint with the manager. We are the clients - a little respect for our time, please.
After the phone calls I got Neal up, handled the wound vac problems, put Neal back in bed, started his IV, gave him his meds, fixed a quick breakfast for him, and need to think about some deep-breathing to calm down.  This change in schedule is not that big a deal, except I just realized that I had been counting on running errands as a chance to get a break.  I can't ask someone to stay with Neal while I run errands, because I have to be here when the new nurse ever does show up.  I can't have someone else run my errands because I have to sign for the med refills, and I have to talk to Eric when I drop off the car.  Again.
So what's my problem?  I cannot change any of this, it's out of my control and I feel helpless.  
Warning to telemarketers:  do not call my house today.  I will put the phone down and walk away, tying up your phone line until it auto-disconnects.  That's the only control I'll have.  But I want brownie points for choosing not to yell at telemarketers if they call.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Argh! I hate when you have everything all planned out and it gets ruined by others. And you get HUGE brownie points for not yelling at the telemarketers!

Laura Jex said...

good Idea with the telemarkerters! Let me know if you need to vent!