When I bought my Forester, the salesman inquired about my plans for the blue car. I told him I thought I'd drive it to North Dakota so my kids could use it. He mentioned that he knew someone who was looking for a good used car. A week later when he made the standard dealership followup phone call, he asked again what I had decided about my car. He explained a little more about his friend and I felt a little tug on my heart. I told him I'd talk it over with my daughter and get back to him.
Did it really make sense to pay insurance until next spring, just to drive a 1998 Olds over 1500 miles to my daughter? Wouldn't it be more logical to sell the car here and use the money to repair their Blazer?
We all agreed on a plan and I talked to the young woman who was looking for a car. We arranged to meet after she applied for financing and had the money. They turned her down (little income, no assets), but a family member was willing to send her a check to cover the cost.
I pulled the file with the title and all the service records from 2003 to 2011 but wasn't sure what this state requires for title transfer and bill of sale. In a conversation with my neighbor to answer those questions I learned that the buyer would have to pay sales tax on the transaction when she licensed the car. I can understand paying sales tax on the initial purchase, but paying every time a car changes owners? That is unfair!
As I thought about the young woman who was coming to buy the car using money from a relative, I could just imagine how difficult it would be for her to come up with almost 10% more for car tabs. I felt strongly that I should do something to help. I remember being a young mom without a lot of resources and how every unanticipated expense was a crisis. I sent her a text, explaining what I learned and offered to drop the price 10% so she could keep the difference to pay the tax. Her reply was one of surprise and gratitude.
She arrived with her little boy (a tiny 16 months old boy with a heart problem) and a friend who carefully checked out the car. We did the paperwork, she gave me the money along with a hug and thanked me for being so kind. My heart went out to her with the challenges of a child with heart problems, trying to arrange medical appointments and holding a minimum-wage job. I was glad that the car had good tires, doesn't need an oil change for another 400 miles and that it had nearly a full tank of gas.
And I am glad I listened to the promptings.
Saturday, November 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment