But - that was painful too because in addition to the usual stack of catalogs and an invitation for Neal to go on a cruise there was a letter to me from Swedish Hospital "Spiritual Care Department."
Uh-oh.
The letter began:
"Dear Joan:
A year has passed since the death of your loved one."
I recognize their kindness in contacting at this time. But it won't be a full year for another 8 days and I was already a little emotional. Reading the comments and suggestions from the hospital bereavement services just pushed my feelings over the top and I wept.
The night before the funeral Neal's sister gave me a framed picture that had been taken when he was a freshman at BYU. He had given me a small one when we were dating that year but I'd never seen the large one he gave his family. I was so touched to have it and hung it at the end of the hallway a little higher than eye level. I didn't realize that would place his image almost exactly the height he had been when we stood together but I find myself standing in front of the picture as I think of all I wish I could tell him.
I miss my sweetheart. Life without him has so many challenges. I know this cycle of grief will pass and I'll look forward again to making plans and moving forward with my life.
But today is really difficult.




No comments:
Post a Comment