I was attacked by a migraine last night. I overlooked the first warning sign of blurred vision because I thought my glasses were smudged but the second warning sign, the aura of flashing lights, was followed almost immediately by the intense pain. When that happened I grabbed the meds, took a double dose and climbed into bed. With eyes closed and lying perfectly still I was grateful that the symptoms began to subside in a couple of hours. The amount of caffeine in my meds is a challenge late at night and I know it was a blessing that I could sleep. My theory is that a migraine utilizes all the caffeine and there is none left for a burst of energy - at least that's how it seems to work for me.
This morning at 4 am I felt like I'd had a great night's sleep and all that's left of the migraine is the fuzzy hangover sensation. That wasn't too bad.
But I've been thinking about my migraines. I used to have them all the time when I was married to my first husband and they decreased significantly after I was divorced. But that's another story. Following that time I noticed that usually they only hit after times of stress. Because I have curvature of the spine at the base of my neck and in my lower back, a chiropractor explained that when I'm stressed I hold my body as straight as possible and those two places are pulled out of alignment. Then when I relax after the stress I'll have a headache. One or two adjustments and I'm good for another six months.
(Does this mean that buying a stove and planning upcoming trips was stressful for me? Hmm)
The other time I get a migraine is when I'm around certain fragrances and I'm not sure how that's connected. I've mentioned getting migraines from roses but there are a couple of musk type perfumes that will cause it as well. I don't know which brands are culprits although years ago one of my (high school) students would come to class after lunch and whip out her Tommy Hilfiger perfume for a quick shower in it before her male classmates arrived. When I realized I was getting a headache as a result, I asked her not to use it in class, but eventually had to threaten her with being sent to the dean for defiance if she continued. It was a long semester with her pouting because I had interferred with her beauty regimen. Right.
I am grateful that if I have to suffer from stress-induced migraines they don't hit until after the stress has passed.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment