Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Trip Pics - Teotihuacan

After spending the morning at the Museum of Anthropology we were driven to Teotihuacan. Traffic in Mexico City was heavy but not as bad as the night before when we went from the airport across the city to the hotel during rush hour. Lane markers were just suggestions and mostly ignored, but I was impressed with how patient everyone seemed to be - it didn't feel as stressful as traffic snarls in Seattle.

Merging to the left and onto another road.  I did learn that if your car is more than 8 years old it contributes more to pollution so you can only drive it every other day - based on whether your license plate ends in an odd or an even number.  Newer cars don't have that restriction.

This area used to be just a dusty road with an arrow pointing to Teotihuacan.

The little town by Teotihuacan had metal spinners overhead as part of a celebration.

This was really interesting.  Those are maguey spines.  You can write on the green portion, then peel it off and the skin keeps whatever you wrote.  Some codices were made that way.  The pointed end was very sharp.

If you grab the tip and pull on it, it comes off with all those fibers attached.  It's no wonder they were used in sewing!

Entrance to Teotihuacan

This section was new to me.  It used to be a dirt-covered hill to climb down to reach the pyramids.

Temple of the Moon with part of the Calle de los Muertos in foreground.  This road is hundreds of years old and completely flat.

Smaller temples that were in front of priests' homes.  They line both sides of the Calle de los Muertos.

At one time these structures were completely covered with plaster and were bright colors.  In some areas the reds and blues are still partially visible.

The Temple of the Sun.  Years ago when I was a missionary our zone climbed to the top carrying everything to have a picnic.  I have climbed this temple several times - it is a long long way up!

The Temple of Quetzalcoatl.  This was a disappointment because I wanted to get closeup photos of the feathered serpent.  But vandalism and deterioration have caused them to close the access so all I could take were pictures from this distance.