Tuesday, September 25, 2012

More music memories

When I was married to husband #1 we were both fans of Hoyt Axton.  We bought his albums and even took them to an appearance to be autographed.  When we separated, I was able to keep 19 of the 250 vinyl albums we owned.........but only 1 of Hoyt's albums.  That was sad.
A couple of years later (about 1995 or 1996) Hoyt returned to Billings for another event so a friend and I went to hear him sing.  We were sitting in the cafe section of the venue when he walked in with his manager, and my much-braver friend spoke to him telling him I was a big fan.  He stopped and chatted for awhile.  I told him that I lost his autographed albums in my divorce, and he replied, "Honey, in my divorce, I lost everything!"  Then he reached in his pocket, pulled out a Jeremiah Bullfrog pin and gave it to me.
Do you know about Jeremiah? 
Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog...
 
Hoyt Axton wrote the song and Three Dog Night made it a hit.

He also wrote Greenback Dollar that the Kingston Trio made famous.
He sang When the Morning Comes and Lion in Winter with Linda Rondstadt.
 
Before he went on stage to perform he graciously paused for a picture with me. 
Several years later my daughter had this photo in a frame in her room at BYU.  People would ask her if it was a picture of her mom and dad, and was always surprised that others didn't know who he was.
 
Hoyt Axton came from a musical family.  His mother Mae Axton was a song-writer and is best known for co-writing Heartbreak Hotel (Elvis Presley's first major hit) and introducing a 19 year old Elvis to Colonel Tom Parker who went on to make a star of Elvis.
 
 

1 comment:

Liz Wilcken said...

Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea, Joy to you and me :) Love the Jeremiah pin. In seminary, we'd be sassy, and when the teacher would ask if we knew who Jeremiah in the scriptures was, we'd answer, "a bullfrog." Naughty us ;)