Sunday, September 2, 2012

Gender Differences

There are so many directions I could go with that title!  But today I'm going to vent a little about a gender difference I experience - All.The.Time.
I have been stake website administrator for the past 6 1/2 years.  Originally it was something I could do and still be at home to take care of my husband but feel like I was contributing.  There are several months at the end of each year when it feels like the next year's calendar is my entire life as I post each event on its designated layer.  It usually takes about 60 hours to prepare and post the annual calendar.  Once it is finally complete there is a feeling of accomplishment. Until the corrections and cancellations begin to arrive.
During the years that I have had this responsibility there have been many emails from subscribers.  If the email comes from a woman it is a question about access or a need for more information.  I have never had a letter of criticism from a woman.  Not ever.
On the other hand...
About once every six weeks a man will send an email with a request or criticism. These are not from the same man and never come from someone who has stewardship over the website. Random men will send emails telling me that I'm not preparing the calendar to their satisfaction or that html coding I use is not compatible with their portable electronic device or that some stake event is incorrect.  Once it was a demand that I not abbreviate a particular sport but that I should spell it out every time it appeared on the calendar.  (Basketball cannot be posted as bball.) Usually the emails are polite. Generally I reply very courteously and try to explain the situation.  Following my courteous reply to one particularly rude demand, I received an apology that began with "I had no idea you were the person in charge."  Um, so that excuses your rudeness?
I'm not sure what the difference is. Are men more inclined to think that they know more about the website and need to offer their opinion?  Are women less likely to be demanding of work someone else has done?
It's a mystery.

1 comment:

Liz Wilcken said...

Maybe since it's a "computer calling" men just naturally think that another man is running it? (Since we women naturally only do pretty and frivolous stuff.) I think you're pretty awesome for tackling such a calling. Keep up the good work, and may the Lord bless you for your patience with the men :)