I love teaching Seminary, and in particular I love teaching the Book of Mormon. Each of the classes at our stake center is taught by two teachers. In our class we take turns being the instructor - one of us teaches a couple of days each week and then the other one finishes the week. Our teaching styles are quite different but it seems to work.
The lesson on Monday was 2nd Nephi 31 and today's lesson was chapter 32. I had prepared both lessons complete with some learning activities and discussion questions so they could interact and come to understand the principles for themselves, while staying awake at 6am.
I pray as I read the scriptures and as I prepare the lessons. Then I pray again each morning before I leave my home to go to the church, asking specifically that the Spirit will be present and that our students will feel the Spirit. I ask that I will be guided in what I say during the class.
The last two days I have been prompted to take the lesson in an entirely different direction than what I had prepared.
Example - Monday's lesson was about baptism being the gate and that once we have entered the gate we need to follow the Savior's example and press forward with steadfastness until we gain eternal life. Other than my poor artwork of a gate and a path that distracted them the class went well, but rather than finishing the lesson with the planned material, I was prompted to talk about how to get back on the path if you have lost your way. It was very specific and I have no idea who needed that instruction but I could feel the Spirit guiding me as I spoke.
Today's lesson had a similar experience. I had given them a small chart of ways we can feast upon the words of Christ (personal scripture study, sacrament meeting, general conference, family scripture study, seminary, family home evening, quorum meetings or YW classes, and personal prayer). There were three choices for each topic - in each of those areas, were they Feasting or Snacking or Starving? They were focused as they marked their answers and most kept their answers to themselves. At the end of the class there was time for them to either write in their journals about any of those areas where they could move closer to feasting, or they could work on memorizing the new scripture mastery verses. Most chose to write. Then, instead of the planned conclusion to the lesson I was prompted to close by giving some instructions about how to pray effectively. It was not what I had planned to say but I could feel that someone in the room was struggling with how to pray because his or her perception of Heavenly Father was not of a kind Father who loved them no matter what. Someone (or maybe more than one) needed to know that Heavenly Father really does want to hear from them and they can tell Him anything, using their own words rather than saying words or phrases they might have heard others use. I noticed several who were listening intently and the Spirit whispered that they needed to know of Heavenly Father's concern for them.
I'm grateful for the opportunity to teach these neat kids and pray I will always be worthy to be guided to provide what they need at that time.
One last thing - I gave them a quote to glue in their journals and I want to remember it so I'm including it here:
"You may be facing decisions regarding a mission, your future career, and, eventually, marriage. As you read the scriptures and pray for direction, you may not actually see the answer in the form of printed words on the page, but as you read you will receive distinct impressions and promptings, and as promised, the Holy Ghost 'will show unto you all things what ye should do.' [2 Nephi 32:5]
-Elder Spencer J. Condie, "Becoming a Great Benefit to Our Fellow Beings," Ensign, May 2002.




No comments:
Post a Comment