Thirteen months ago I reserved my timeshare for two weeks in September 2013. Later when I began teaching Seminary I realized that might be a problem but wasn't sure how to handle it. Last spring Pam (my former teaching partner) and I sat down and looked at our schedules and planned how she could help her daughter early in September and then I would go to Hawaii after she returned. It was going to blend seamlessly. Once that was resolved I went to Colorado for the siblings reunion and came home to an entirely different scenario - the format for Seminary had changed, my partner had been transferred to a different building and I had no idea what would happen. At that point I offered half of my time to my stepdaughter Gwenan who had been trying to get away for a vacation for over a year. She took the first week and I decided that if at all possible I would take the second week. I went to North Dakota to visit my daughter's family and while I was gone Seminary began falling into place. I have a wonderful new partner whose teaching style is unlike mine but it gives a good balance to our students. She arranged for a former teacher to come in and help with the class while I was gone and I felt okay about leaving...except that it was so early in the year that I didn't feel I had established much of a relationship with the kids. At the very least, it delayed that bonding process.
Anyway, I went to Hawaii, arriving the day before Gwenan and Greg flew home. As a thank you they took me to Gaylord's Plantation for dinner that evening and we had a very nice time. I had been to Gaylord's with Neal in 2001 so it was a sweet experience to go back. The meal was very fancy and we enjoyed the cool breezes on the covered walkway as we ate. Gwen and Greg had done lots of fun things while they were there and really tried to talk me into going to some of the same places - a botanical garden, the Kalamaku Luau, etc. The next morning we went to the Aloha breakfast Banyan Harbor hosts for incoming guests. It was up by the pool (overlooking Nahwiliwili Harbor) and lots of vendors came to talk about their tours etc. I decided I didn't want to try zip-lining (passed it up in Guatemala last year too) and the only thing that really interested me was the Catamaran out to Nihau. I thought we would actually go to the island, but it turns out it just goes near the island, drops anchor and people can snorkel there. Not worth the price - I can see the island from Kauai.
I took pictures of Banyan Harbor, of a cruise ship coming into the bay (Norwegian Cruise Lines - spent two days there), tried lots of different foods, explored places on my wish list, talked to some nice people, found the Menehune Pond again (couldn't find it last time I was there), and loved going to church in Lihue. On Sunday evening they had a musical fireside that was the best experience I had during this trip - wonderful music and interesting speakers. So glad that I went back to the church that evening.
I did find a lot of back roads during this trip - nice to know I can avoid the going-to-work rush hour traffic now.
Here are a bunch of pictures - views from the lanai, from walking along the beach, and from visiting a quilt shop just outside of town. They upgraded my rental car and I was amused to see that it had an analog clock in the dashboard display - retro?
 |
| Finally - an easy-to-read clock for this old person! |
 |
| Gwenan and Joan at Gaylord's Plantation |
 |
| Gwenan and Greg |
 |
| After dinner outside the dining area |
 |
| Too bad you can't see the view through those windows - the bay, the ships - it's all great |
 |
| Looking up the hill towards the pool |
 |
| Looking down the hill - I think that's an old sugar factory in the distance |
 |
| Directly in front when I woke each morning |
 |
Cruise ship coming in!
The streets suddenly fill with shuttles and taxis |
 |
| Description of the Menehune Fishpond |
 |
| Here it is - right where we left it in 2001 |
 |
| Proof I was there |
 |
| Lovely quilt shop just down the hill from the hospital |
 |
| I love these dimensional turtles! |
 |
| If he had been for sale I would have bought him! |
 |
| Kalapaki Beach |
 |
| Not my hotel - this is the fancy one across the street |
 |
| Kalapaki Bay |
 |
| Absolute tradition- must eat an Ono Burger at the Beach Hut |
 |
Also a tradition - must have Shave Ice on Kauai
Coconut is my favorite flavor |
 |
Bougainvillea - I loved these blossoms when I lived in Mexico
and was delighted to see them growing on Kauai |
 |
| Plumeria |
 |
| Screen door at my Hawaiian home |
 |
Advantage to my new building - there's a carport.
That offsets the many many stairs to the door. |
 |
| This is the I building - mine is the center unit, top two floors |
 |
I also own a week in the D building on the far side of the property
but have never stayed there. Maybe someday. |
 |
| This is the D building |
 |
| And here is the approach to Banyan Harbor (also the view from the wharf) |
 |
LDS chapel in Lihue. I love the friendliness of the people.
They sing Aloha Oe and give leis to all the guests. |
 |
| Hibiscus |
 |
| Nahwiliwili Harbor where the locals like to fish and hang out with friends |
 |
| The tide was just starting to come in by the rock seawall |
 |
| Getting ready to surf - waves weren't really rolling yet |
 |
| Love the lighthouse in the distance |
 |
| This doesn't appeal to me (too open) but they offer massages on the beach |
 |
Finally - I started with a clock, so I'll end with the local alarm clocks.
These roosters are everywhere on the island,
in part because Hurricane Iniki in 1992 blew away their chicken coops
and they escaped.
|
If you aren't completely tired from all the photos, here's a list of some foods I tried:
1. Wasabi-wrapped avocado was delicious!
2. Malasadas (Portuguese donuts) were great when they were hot.
3. Pan-seared tuna, courtesy of Greg's charter fishing trip
Ono burgers and shave ice are traditional favorites. The fish taco with mahi-mahi was so-so. I didn't really care for the jalapeño salsa in it. Mango salsa would have been better.
I also tried Amy's BBQ veggie burger and it was the best vegetarian burger I've tasted. Still looking for them in stores here.
So, that's all for this trip. Aloha!
No comments:
Post a Comment