Apparently I'm blind. Or at least I failed the eye test royally. I have known for awhile that I needed new glasses, but because I love my frames and knew they couldn't use them again, I have procrastinated starting the process of deciding what I wanted. But I made an appointment and showed up anyway, taking Neal along to pick out my frames for me because he picked the last ones. He's very good at that.
So. I was in the exam chair wearing my current glasses and the doctor began by saying, "Please read the smallest line that is clear." I laughed because literally all I could see was a white square on the wall - there were NO letters. So much for vision in my right eye.
Eventually the exam was over and had been relatively painless, although I received a lecture about improving the quality and quantity of eye drops I need every day. Looks like I'm stuck with the most expensive and least convenient kind. FYI - eye drops with preservatives are bad because they can damage the cornea. I don't like the type in the single-use containers because of cost and also because I'm afraid I'll run out and not have any with me when I need them. But these are the only eyes I have and I don't want to damage them, so I'll switch to the good stuff.
After the exam I tried on frames. And more frames. And still more frames. We finally settled on a frame that I saw early in the search, and fortunately they are big enough to hold progressive lenses. Neal and the optician convinced me that I need transitional lenses, even though my last experience with them was such a problem. One lens would get much darker than the other, and students in my classes would be so distracted that teaching was a challenge. That would be a side effect of teaching in a classroom with wall to wall windows and a southern exposure. I also ordered progressive lens dark glasses, for those rare days the sun might shine around here or when we are travelling.
Last night we went to the temple to do sealings, and one of the names was Ira C Whiteford! He's not in our family list as far as we know, but it was nice to be able to serve someone who possibly is connected.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Do you have the Ira C. Whiteford card? Or is it at the temple? It wasn't in the envelope Marci had.
THANKS!
Last I saw it was in the sealer's office, so I don't know what happened - probably was separated from the others because he pulled it out of sequence so we could do it. But I can promise you that the sealing took place!
Post a Comment