Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fun visitors


I feel like it has been so busy around here that blogging was forgotten. Not true, but finding time to myself has been a rare occurrence. Last week after working two days at the Employment Center, we learned that Anne, Will and Celestina were on their way from Montana to visit us. We have a three bedroom house, but the smallest of the three is the guest room, when it isn't functioning as the sewing room or the craft room, or the "let's put the tools and off-season clothes and excess medical supplies out of the way" room. I had also brought in several large boxes with plans to pull everything out of the closet and either find a use for it or donate it to DI. Plus there are two large Rubbermaid containers holding Julia's scrapbooks and other treasures. And on and on. So - it's a good thing that our family room couch is a hide-a-bed with a comfortable mattress. We did manage to find space in the "guest" room for Celestina, as well as their luggage, but I wish there had been a little more warning so that sleeping arrangements for everyone could have been more welcoming.
They arrived on Friday evening, just a few minutes before Neal's grandson Isaac arrived with his dad, so we had quite an evening. Jim and Isaac came to cook Seafood Fettucine for us, and it was a meal worthy of a fancy restaurant. Will is allergic to seafood, but he had minestrone with us. Did I take photos? Um, no - although I think Neal did with his camera, but I haven't figured out how to download from the DSLR yet.
Saturday we grandparents were the babysitters while Anne and Will took the GPS and drove to the Olympic peninsula. It was so much fun spending time with Celestina. She loved exploring the toy closet and we were amazed at how much she knows, particularly her numbers. She's four and knew all the flashcard numbers from 1 to 100 in random order, the result of no toys at church - just turning the pages of the hymnbook to find the hymns on the program.
Sunday we went to church together, and the speakers were so good for the kids to hear - thanks, Mel and Tom! Anne Marie has been following the story of Brooke and Summer since last June, so it was meaningful to her and to Will, particularly since Anne just miscarried. We are so sorry about that, but are hopeful that there will be another opportunity now that she is so happily married. Celestina tried Primary but was a little intimidated by it, so she came with me to Relief Society.
Monday Neal and I were at LDS Employment, so the kids took the GPS and explored Seattle, Gene Coulon Park, and various spots in between. We had pizza for supper as a picnic on the floor (Celestina's idea) and enjoyed some visiting time. Then on Tuesday morning they loaded up for the long drive back and left just as we went back to LDS Employment, which needs to be another blog entry. Just as they were leaving I realized we had no photos, so I grabbed the camera for one quick shot just as they were headed out the door.
I am grateful for text messaging that kept me from worrying (as much) during their trip home. Quick notes - "lots of snow on Snoqualmie" - or - "passed Ritzville" - helped me visualize their progress. The final message that they were safely home was such a relief. It's 15+ hours of driving from here to Billings, and in February all those mountain passes can be a challenge.

No comments: