Friday, February 20, 2009

Service Mission - first report

This week was the first of our mission. Neal and I were set apart in the bishop's office on Tuesday night, and it was a special moment for us. Wednesday morning we went to the LDS Employment Services office in Renton and attended an all-day workshop. It was interesting to sit in that group as participants and go through each step with them. The surprise to me was that some of the steps were a little uncomfortable for me. We were supposed to describe ourselves and talk about our strengths and so on. I think we are taught not to brag, so writing down who I am and learning how to capture the interest of an interviewer, even on paper, is beyond my comfort level. Perhaps that's a result of 33 years in public schools where we use collective bargaining. It's not difficult to say that we are professionals, that we are well trained and experienced and have the interest of the children as our foremost priority. It was the same thing as a legislative lobbyist for education - it wasn't difficult to urge support for various bills that would impact the classroom. However I don't think I could have gone before the school board to ask for a raise if I were trying to negotiate for myself alone.
Anyway. Back to the employment center mission. On Thursday Neal and I were alone in the office for a good part of the day as the counselors were out on other assignments. Ryan gave us a quick orientation, told us the password for the computers, then had to leave, so we were on our own to help folks who might come in. I was surprised at how busy the office was. The first thing I did was retype a resume for one man, after getting his work history in sequence and making sure the details were correct. Then we helped him with applying online and learning how to send a resume as an email attachment. Others needed the computers or the fax or a telephone book or called wanting appointments with counselors. We managed to help each of the clients and didn't break any equipment, so it was a good day.
We are still adjusting the hours we'll be in the office, and for awhile I think it will just be scheduled one or two days in advance. We're off today, which turned out to be a good thing because late yesterday afternoon we learned that some of my family are on their way. There is much to do to figure out sleeping arrangements and menus when the plans of others are not firm. But company! My granddaughter! I can't wait!

1 comment:

Janet Fawcett said...

Congratulations on getting started with your new mission assignment. What a great opportunity to serve -- especially right now with the constant layoff announcements. You will be busy -- I can just about guarantee it.

Hooray that Celestina and her parents are coming to visit! Whoo Hooo!!!