Saturday, September 24, 2011

Breaking the Law

I love this image.  I bought a windsock with that design years ago but I don't have a really effective place to hang it around this house and it's been stored for years.  When I was in Port Townsend last weekend with my sisters-in-law and stepdaughter there was a huge sidewalk sale in progress.  At one Celtic store they had flags at 50% off.  They had the traditional flag of Scotland but also this flag.  We discussed the flag and I commented that I didn't know if I was entitled to fly a flag representing Scotland since Neal has passed away.  They informed me that as a widow I'm now an honorary Scot and I should get it. 
So I bought the flag.  On Monday I took it out and ran it up our flagpole.  It was a beautiful day and it looked so pretty against the blue sky, but I began wondering about the significance of the Rampart Lion versus the national flag.   Somewhere I had heard that this one is flown when the Sovereign is not in residence at a royal castle.  Well, that fits because MY sovereign is no longer in residence in this castle so I should fly it for him - made me smile.  What else should I know about it?  I did some research.
Uh-oh.
I read this first:
The Royal Standard of Scotland, also known as the Banner of the King of Scots, or more commonly the Lion Rampant of Scotland, is the Scottish Royal Banner of Arms. Used historically by the King of Scots, the Royal Standard of Scotland differs from Scotland's national flag in that its correct use is restricted by an Act of the Parliament of Scotland to only a few Great Officers of State who officially represent the Sovereign in Scotland. It is also used in an official capacity at royal residences in Scotland when the Sovereign is not present.
Then I read this:
The 'Lion Rampant' Flag
This is not a national flag and its use by citizens and corporate bodies is entirely wrong.
Gold, with a red rampant lion and royal tressure, it is the Scottish Royal banner, and its correct use is restricted to only a few Great Officers who officially represent The Sovereign, including;
  • the First Minister as Keeper of the Great Seal of Scotland,
  • Lord Lieutenants in their Lieutenancies,
  • the Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland,
  • the Lord Lyon King of Arms,
  • and other lieutenants specially appointed.
Its use by other, non-authorised persons is an offence under the Act of Parliament 1672 cap. 47 and 30 & 31 Vict. cap. 17

I honestly do not believe a representative of the Scottish Embassy will show up in my driveway and demand that I remove the flag, but I kept hearing the words "obeying, honoring and sustaining the law" running through my head.
So I took it down.
Know what I heard in my head after I took it down?  My husband's voice as he chuckled and said, "Sometimes your honesty is a character flaw." 
Maybe I'll hang it on the wall in the office.
 

1 comment:

MTGrace said...

I can hear him saying that as well. :)