Monday, September 12, 2011

Wondering

Have you heard of water-witching or dowsing?  I had but assumed it was a hoax.  One day Neal and I were talking about skills and he mentioned it.  I thought he was joking and laughed, so he said he'd show me.  He took a coat hanger, bent it into a shape that was similar to the stick in the photo and we went outside.  I knew more or less where the water lines ran across the back yard of my property in Montana so I watched as he walked slowly across the yard.  Just as he reached the area where the line runs underground the tip of the hanger suddenly pointed down.  I accused him of doing it with his fingers but he insisted he had not moved his hands at all.  He handed me the hanger, told me to walk slowly across the yard and see what happened as I approached the water source. 
Sure enough, the tip of the hanger suddenly changed position in my hands and the tip pointed at the ground.  I was amazed.
After that little experiment I assumed that anyone could do it but from what I've read that isn't the case.  Some can, some can't.  So now I wonder if the "gift" is also why I can't carry a magnetized key card without having it demagnetize.  Five separate times this summer I've had to take my key card to a hotel front desk because it had quit working.

1 comment:

Chanin said...

Wow, you too! Mine isn't key cards, it is watches. I kill watches in no time flat. We have replaced batteries, bought expensive watches, had jewelers look at the watches (about 12 in total)but the watches and batteries are fine. Until I put them on, that is. So, now I wear an automatic self winding watch that winds itself as it gets moved around on my wrist all day. I wonder why these things happen?