Saturday, May 5, 2012

In The Beginning

Apology:  Some of these were scanned from tiny (2x3") prints and are poor quality, but they are all I have.
 
BYU - 1962 
I had not planned to join the marching band when I started college because I thought I would need to concentrate on studying.  But during the first week in Provo I changed my mind, called my parents and had them ship my clarinet. I've written before about the Cougar Marching Band (see this post) but I loved being in the band because that's where I met Neal.  Several of the drummers were graduates of BY High and were close friends. They were energetic and funny and kept us laughing.
The one who caught my eye was blue-eyed Neal.

In another post I wrote about how we became a couple during the long train ride to Chicago, performing at a halftime show in Kalamazoo Michigan and returning home. 
Neal would alternate between paying attention to me or
wanting me with him but engrossed in other activities.
Practicing drum cadences...

Playing chess with bass drummer Colin Soto.
(They converted the drink holders to drum stick holders)

Or he stared at his hands and wouldn't talk to anyone. 

During the summer of 1962 my parents moved from Wyoming to Montana and his family moved from Utah to California.  Everything felt unsettled.  Neal spent the summer working at Jackson Lake Lodge and even came to Billings to visit me one weekend.  By that fall we were so happy to be back in the same town and spending time together.  This next photo is hopelessly out of focus but it's the only picture I have of that fun day.
Plus it is such a great shot of his dimples!



On the balcony of Carroll Hall 


My favorite photo of us was taken at the Preference Ball in January 1964.
We displayed it at our wedding 36 years later.
After we were married (June 3, 2000)
we decided to recreate that pose wearing similar clothes. 

It took us a long time to get there but it was definitely worth the wait!





No comments: