Saturday, May 5, 2012

My New Address - Memory Lane

I mentioned sorting through lots of boxes while I was at my daughter's house.  I was especially looking for my scrapbook from BYU but it wasn't there so I searched again when I returned home.  I found the scrapbook but all the pictures of Neal had been removed.  Hmm.  I must have shown them to Neal and then "put them in a safe place."  Luckily there are a limited number of safe places in this house so eventually I found them and have been revisiting old memories.  There are too many stories for one post so I'll just share this one.
I've mentioned before that Neal and I were in the BYU Cougar Marching Band. We were friends with several other band members and I spent a lot of time with John P whenever I was frustrated with Neal.  I didn't know that John was interested in me - his was just the shoulder I cried on about Neal, although he did take me to one formal dance when Neal accepted an invitation from a girl in ROTC with him.  She was his superior officer, but still...
This is John in 1963
Fast forward to July 7 1978.  My little brother was getting married that day and I was in the waiting room at the Salt Lake Temple. By coincidence John was also there for a wedding so we had a quick visit catching up on our lives.  John told me he was married and working as athletic director at Weber.  I told him I had two little girls and was teaching school in Montana.  We didn't get much time to talk because both wedding parties were called and we both left.
A few years after that John was in California and spent some time with Neal.  My name came up in their conversation when Neal asked John if he had ever heard any news about me.  John told him he had seen me at the SLC temple, that I was married to a bishop, lived in Springville Utah and had six children.
What?
I have no idea why that was his answer - whether he had forgotten what I said or whether he wanted Neal to know that I was just fine without my college sweetheart. 
But the result of that conversation was that when Neal started looking for me in 1997 he began his search in Springville.
In 2001 we went to the BY High All-Class reunion and were so sad to learn that John had died. We had been looking forward to letting him know that we finally found happiness together.

1 comment:

MTGrace said...

Growing up in Springville was sure fun. I wonder where the rest of my siblings went....