Wednesday, July 25, 2012

High School Reunion

It has been 50 years since I received my diploma from Riverton High School, and it's been 20 years since I attended a reunion.  I decided it was time to go back and see my classmates so I made the trek to Wyoming for this reunion.  That involved a flight from Seattle to Denver and then a noisy ride on a tiny airplane (Beech 1900D) from Denver to Riverton.  The reunion was two days - July 13th and 14th.  When I walked in the first person I saw was a friend from the past.  She lived in my neighborhood and we'd spent the summers together, had multiple sleepovers at each other's houses and we were in the band together.  Friends, right?  I said hello and she asked me my name.  I said, "Joan" and she replied, "Joan who?"  Since I was the only Joan in our graduating class and our class was only about 100 students that was a surprise.  But both evenings people looked at my name tag first before saying hello.  In fact, a guy I had dated during our senior year looked at my name tag and said, "You aren't Joan - who are you really?"  I think my white hair was an effective disguise.
It was interesting to see former classmates but I didn't have a lot to talk about with others - we didn't seem to have much in common.  On the second night our table was made up of mostly widows - what a thing to have in common!

Audrey (class reunion organizer) and Margo who lived in Jackson when my parents lived there

Two retired teachers. 
Jana and I were in 4-H together when we were in grade school.

Dean, Lorraine, me, Connie, Michele, Larry and Pete.
Pete was my date for junior prom, not because we were dating
but because neither of us had a date so we went together. 

Sylvia, Jana, Audrey, Gloria and Sharon.
Sylvia's brother's name is Forrest and it was
that connection that led me to name my Forrester "Sylvia"

No comments: