Before Neal became a paraplegic we used to walk together, usually along the Cedar River Trail although sometimes we'd just walk in the neighborhood or along the Soos Creek Trail. After he was in a wheelchair we'd go out now and then but there were complications such as being 12 blocks from home when the wheelchair quit and I had to walk home, get the van, and recruit neighbors to help muscle the non-working chair up the ramp into the van. It was just a hassle. I walked by myself a time or two but there are a couple of dogs that made that a challenge.
So I haven't walked for a long time.
This summer a friend asked me to walk with her and we walked a couple of days but then I left for my reunion.
Last week we started over. Each weekday morning we walk 3 miles and by the time I get home I'm beat. I've been wearing different shoes each day trying to find something that is comfortable. The best were the Columbia sandals I wore in Mexico, but that won't work when the weather is colder. I have an old pair of New Balance but they aren't very comfortable anymore. My new doctor-prescribed anti-gravity shoes are okay but my legs are very tired afterwards.
So today I went shopping again for walking shoes. I tried on lots of brands and styles and settled on some that seem to be pretty good. With any luck they will help me on that last long hill.
My intention in walking on a regular schedule is to help me be healthier but I have been disappointed to see I haven't lost any weight yet. The way I feel after each walk it seems like I should have dropped at least ten pounds from sweat and exertion.
However today my favorite brand of jeans were on sale and I had to go down one size to get them to fit. It was an amazing feeling.





2 comments:
Good for you! I wish I could join you. I doubt I'd be able to keep up though. I'm so out of shape. Someday I'll be more like you :)
Go, Girl, Go!!! Good for you!!
Post a Comment