Saturday, August 18, 2012

Sweet memory

On August 14, 2003 Neal and I left here to drive to Montana.  By the time we arrived in Missoula it was past midnight and all the motels we could see had No Vacancy signs because of all the fire fighters staying in the area.  They were needed because of the many fires but we were so tired and needed a place to sleep. 
Thanks to the AAA guide book we finally located an old motel.  They had one room left and it was out of date but clean.  The shower was a square metal style.  The floor was asbestos tiles from the 1950's and the phone was a black rotary model.  Not old enough to be quaint, just old.
It didn't matter. We were exhausted and fell asleep almost immediately but about 7 I awoke with a horrible thought: I forgot my white suit for the temple!  It was all packed - and still in the closet at our apartment.  We went to breakfast and I called the apartment manager who agreed to get it from the closet and UPS overnight it to Billings.  That was $50 I didn't want to spend but I really wanted my white suit for the temple.  (FYI- UPS overnight on a Friday means arrival on Monday.)
Why did I want it?  Because we were going back to Billings to be sealed and I wanted to wear the suit that I wore at our wedding on June 3, 2000.  The temple had lovely dresses available for use but I wanted my own.
Driving through western Montana was a smoky experience and in many places we could see the fire very close to the freeway.  We made our usual stop at Wheat Montana in Three Forks - can't miss that.
Two months before our Billings trip we had been in Hawaii with the grandkids and I fell off a trail and broke my leg. I had a 2 1/2 inch spiral fracture so I had to wear an inflatable cast/boot. The orthopedic surgeon told me I could take it off for the temple sealing on the 19th but had to wear it until then. We went to a session on Saturday and the clothing director hunted me down to give me an elastic covering for my black cast. 
My suit arrived and on Tuesday afternoon we were sealed in the Billings Temple. My sister thought the time of day we had chosen for the event was very odd (late afternoon) but I used to be a Tuesday evening ordinance worker and that time of day made it possible for me to see dear friends who had served with me.
My guide (escort) was Kelly Kirkpatrick.  She had been my visiting teacher during the lonely time that Neal and I were first married but still living in two different time zones.  One time she brought me a brownie mix that had been covered with a new label - I Miss My Husband Chocolate Therapy.  In the sealing room I couldn't look at Kelly because every time I glanced her way one of us would cry tears of joy.
The temple president in 2003 was President David Pennington and he performed the sealing.  Before becoming the temple president he had also been called President Pennington as first counselor in the Billings Stake Presidency.  We had worked together when I was stake Relief Society president so I was delighted that he could perform the ceremony.  Dave told Neal he was marrying a "heavy hitter" in the church and Neal agreed. 
And so it was that on August 19, 2003 Neal and I became eternal companions.
Yes, he did wear a Mickey Mouse fishing tie

Billings Temple at dusk. 
 The glass section of the roof lets you see the Angel Moroni overhead. 

Bob and Jana Stockdale hosted our wedding and reception in 2000. 
After our sealing they hosted another gathering for us.
Dr Stockdale was my home teacher when Neal and I were married.


1 comment:

MTGrace said...

Made me cry. That was such a special day!