Saturday, March 7, 2009

What Happened to the Constitution??

Yesterday's news informed us that Senator Kennedy will be awarded an honorary knighthood. Now perhaps it's just me, but um.......isn't there something about that in the US Constitution? A quick check of Article 1, Section 9 confirms my assumption: No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.
So Congress has to consent to this nonsense, but since there seems to be unwarranted enthusiasm for Kennedy as a "statesman" (oh please!), I have little doubt it will happen.
I'd rather read about the new playground equipment on the White House lawn. At least that project was built in the United States.

1 comment:

Janet Fawcett said...

I'm with you on this one... Amen Sista!