Thursday, June 4, 2009

Number Nine

Yesterday was our 9th anniversary, and Neal planned such a lovely way to celebrate. In the afternoon we went on an Argosy cruise. From Pier 56 we went by bus to Lake Union, boarded the boat at the south end of the lake, viewed various interesting sights such as Gas Works Park and the houseboat from Sleepless in Seattle (for sale at $2.5 million!), then through the locks, out into the Puget Sound, close to Magnolia, over towards Alki and Harbor Island, then back into the pier. The trip was two and a half hours with interesting narration.
After the cruise, we went to Salty's on Alki for dinner. We had read reviews that the quality wasn't great anymore, but we asked a couple who were leaving as we arrived who said their halibut was delicious but the steak was so-so. We were seated at a window with a terrific view of the Seattle skyline and the kayaks on Alki. We both ordered halibut with sides of asparagus and mushrooms. The halibut was good, but it seemed like more attention was paid to the sauces and garnishes than on the cooked perfection of the fish or vegetables. Distracting.
Anyway, it was a lovely day to realize how blessed I am to be married to my best friend. Each day we are together is such a blessing and I am so grateful that we've had another year. Last night when Neal prayed, he asked for nine more years, and I was aware of how that is barely a possibility, given our situation. Makes me even more grateful for our other anniversary in August when we celebrate our temple sealing in 2003.
I think my problem is trying to stay in the moment. Before we left home, I worried about the logistics: would there be a place to park the van where the ramp could drop down? Would the bus have wheelchair access? Would there be problems to interrupt our activities? Would Neal be all right? What if something happens to me? We prayed before we left, and were led to a parking place under the viaduct on the end where no other car could block the ramp. But the sign said "Maximum two hours parking" so during the entire cruise I worried about the van, and had to force myself to return to the moment and enjoy the experience. The Argosy clerk called to double-check that the bus had a wheelchair lift, and another clerk even met us on the street to tell us they were ready for us. The wheelchair loaded fine but at Lake Union the lift wouldn't release, so Neal was stuck 5 feet off the ground while the driver tried to figure out why the hydraulic lift didn't work. I stood there watching the line of passengers disappear from sight and worried that the boat would leave while we were still trying to get off the bus. When we finally made it to the boat, we discovered that the information we had was wrong. They had told us the boat had an elevator so we could have great viewing, but there was no elevator. So I had a choice of being topside alone, or down on the enclosed level with Neal. I did take the camera up for a few shots, but preferred to be where my husband was.
I wish I didn't obsess constantly about details. Just as I worry about finding a parking place every time we go to Neal's cardiologist, this lovely anniversary outing seemed to have so many concerns for me: would there be parking, would the van be towed if we parked too long and if so, how would we get it back? Would the bus have access, would the boat be accessible, and would there be parking at the restaurant? As we went to bed last night, I realized how completely our prayers had been answered. Every worry was generously resolved - parking with ramp space downtown and at the restaurant, accessible bus, acceptable views on the boat, with more privacy because everyone else was topside. Our prayers were answered, and I know they were tender mercies from a loving Heavenly Father. I know He took care of us.

No comments: