Boxing Day, December 26, 2011. What a treat to wake up in the Empress Hotel and have this as the view from our floor. While we were waiting for everyone to be ready, the morning ferry arrived from Port Angeles. I'm posting the distant image so you can see the tiny side door where all the cars and trucks leave the ferry. The next image shows were it docked. We arrived on the same ferry Christmas morning.
We had breakfast at a deli near the hotel, then walked up the street to do some shopping. Here's the interior of the Bay Centre.
I saw a purse I liked but it was $400, and a baby sweater was $50, so - um, no thank you. I did meet a friendly RCMP outside one store.We returned to the harbor area about noon.
The hotel was filled with tourists and holiday decorations. But we had reservations for tea and it was worth the trip just for that experience. The menu was different for Christmas week and is no longer posted, but we had strawberries dipped in chocolate to start, then a choice of teas (I had a wonderful orange-pineapple herbal tea made from dried fruits and herbs). In the photo you can see a tiered cake plate. The bottom plate had various sandwiches - cucumber & horseradish on dark bread, smoked salmon pinwheel, mango and curried chicken (my favorite), egg salad on a tiny croissant, pork paté on crostini (must be an acquired taste). The middle plate had scones with whipped butter and strawberry jam. The top plate had various pastries, including holiday fruitcake, ginger shortbread, chocolate truffle in a chocolate cup, and cheesecake. I think there was another one but I don't remember what it was. We couldn't finish our desserts, so they gave us tiny boxes to take everything with us (up to the refrigerators in our rooms)
It was a lovely place with excellent service and we were entertained by Christmas carolers in old-fashioned costumes. Also, this is the ladies restroom by the tearoom:
After tea we did some more shopping, returning to the hotel as the Christmas lights came on around the harbor. I love the lights on the government buildings.
For our late supper we hiked about ten blocks (uphill) to a place that was advertised as the best fish and chips in Victoria. It was a total dive, but the food was fantastic.Tomorrow I'll write about the rest of the trip - Victoria to Vancouver and home again.



No comments:
Post a Comment