I'm glad that my niece drove because she had been there many times while living in Bellingham and knew her way around.
We spent the afternoon on Granville Island - in pouring rain.
Shops there were interesting but prices were very high ($84 for a medium-sized windsock!). We had a late afternoon meal in the market place. I ordered "lemon chicken and noodles" from a Chinese place but the yellow color was the result of a lot of curry. Go figure. We were eating while standing in the food court area when an older lady motioned to us. When we walked over to her table, she turned to her teenage grandchildren and said, "Second shift is here, so get up and let them have the table." It was cute.
As it began to get dark we drove north to VanDusen Botanical Gardens to stand in another line for the Festival of Lights. I'm sure it is a lovely place in the summer time, with mazes and interesting plants. But in heavy rain on muddy paths with only 1/4 of the gardens lit, it was something to quickly view and then seek shelter. I snapped a few pictures but was worried about getting my camera wet as my leather gloves were soaked.
We stayed at the YWCA hotel near the stadium in Vancouver. It is very safe with gated access to parking, keyed elevators, double-keyed rooms and was like a slumber party with 5 beds in our room. Cheap and clean was just fine for all of us. We were still hungry so we ventured out and found a Tim Hortons (Canadian chain) across the street from the Olympic torch where we had soup etc before returning to the hotel.
Mostly we went sight-seeing in Vancouver - it's a big city but there are some lovely parks and pretty views. I do have to mention one place - White Spot Restaurants had free parking, wonderful food and great service. We ate at one near the entrance to Stanley Park.
Heading home we waited in LONG lines to cross the border - according to the signs the wait at this crossing was shorter than further west. It took about an hour in line just to move close enough to see the green signs.
I was happy to finally see this:
Back in the US, we left Mileva to repack for a ski trip to Park City while the rest of us headed to yet another ferry for a trip back to the farm. The cats were fine but very annoyed at being alone. Apparently there was a heavy windstorm while we were gone so I'm glad my car was parked away from the most vulnerable trees. There were lots of branches down where I normally park. We fixed a simple supper then fell asleep watching a movie. I got up early the next morning to join commuter traffic from the peninsula across the Tacoma Narrows bridge and home.
It was a nice trip - but it did not feel like Christmas. I think I missed Christmas 2011 completely.
My only regret is that I didn't buy a few things I liked. I thought I'd see them in other shops or stop on the way back to the hotel so I wouldn't have to carry them with me all day but I never did. As a result my only "souvenir" is a tiny whisk from a shop in Victoria.



No comments:
Post a Comment